Singing Blackberry Wine & 17, Hot July Moon Saw …Wait that was Strawberry!

Remember that song by Deana Carter years back?

Like strawberry wine and seventeen
The hot July moon saw everything
My first taste of love, oh bittersweet
The green on the vine
Like strawberry wine

Well, I have been singing the Blackberry version of that. Probably because we have picked more than 52 lbs of the darn things in the last 10 days. We have had pies, juice, and even blackberry pancakes.

So now it is time to make…

BLACKBERRY WINE

Now, I like a somewhat Light Bodied Sweet Wine. I do drink a dry wine some, but prefer sweet. When I make wine I use a 5 gal jug. I do this because wine is easy  to mix, but takes some time to ferment and rack before it is ready to bottle. The fact is the longer the process the better the wine. That goes for after you bottle it as well. I have a bottle of Raspberry that will hit 2 years since bottled in a month. Can’t wait to open that one. So here is my 5 gallon recipe (you can cut it down by fifths to make a gallon).

• about 12 lb blackberries (or any fruit – Fresh is best)
  • 10 – 12 lb. granulated sugar
  •  water
  • 2 pkgs yeast

Pick ripe berries. Wash thoroughly. Then crush berries in bowl, and transfer to fermenting jug. Next add a couple gallons of water, mixing thoroughly with sugar. Stir well to dissolve sugar and add yeast and rest of water to fill jug to 2 inches below the neck.  Cover mouth of jug securely with large balloon (or as we do, a rubber works very well), and set in warm (about 75 degrees) place for 10 to 14 days, stirring (shaking) daily (Balloon/rubber will expand as wine is fermenting). Pour thru sieve to remove berries and place into secondary fermenting jug and fit with new balloon/rubber. You can test taste at this time!  Place in cool dark place for two to three months when all foaming has stopped (balloon/rubber will flatten).  Yes! You can test taste at this time, too . Rack, allow another couple of months to finish, then rack and bottle. Allow 6 months to age, a year to mature.

winejug

As you can tell, this is a process that takes some time. We usually make wine a couple times a year so we have some ready to drink. I will tell you that you can bottle after 3 months, but understand there will be sediment that collects in bottom of bottle. Since it has been a few years of NO blackberry wine, we will pull a bottle after each rack just to have in fridge chilled. The rest will be put up to age!

butt naked womanlabel3Born on date – TBD

I will keep you updated…

Good Wine Takes Time!

Tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Singing Blackberry Wine & 17, Hot July Moon Saw …Wait that was Strawberry!

1. Carol says:

That is a long process. We have drank homemade wine after first rack, but waiting is so much better.

2. jessi says:

I have had your wine. That peach we had a year ago was awesome. It was a year old and aged perfect.

3. Dale says:

Am I invited for a taste test? I have never tried Blackberry wine. Had no idea it took that long for good wine.

4. Jen V says:

My husband makes his own beer, but we haven’t ever tried to make wine. I am a bit jealous of all the blackberries you’ve picked. I miss the blackberry bushes at our old house.
    Jen V recently posted…Flower Party Favors / Cupcake ToppersMy Profile

5. I have made my own beer, but never my own wine! How cool!
    Robin (Masshole Mommy) recently posted…Family Fun with Big G Cereal Movies #biggcerealmoviesMy Profile

6. Deanna Ritz says:

I really would love to do this someday. Making my own wine would be so cool. Looks delicious!
    Deanna Ritz recently posted…Pretty Pintastic Party #11My Profile

7. popcosmo says:

Wow, I can make my own wine? This would be awesome!!! Sounds like fun!

8. I’m not a wine drinker but I totally didn’t think it would take that long to make wine! Can’t wait to see how this batch comes out.
    Chelle @ Oh Just Stop Already recently posted…Go Ahead & Dunk/Drop Your Phone w/ the Kyocera Hydro VibeMy Profile

9. Jennifer B says:

This would be fun to try I think! It sounds delicious!
    Jennifer B recently posted…Modern, Stylish Swimwear At Modest SeaMy Profile

10. Lisa J. Jones says:

Is This Awesome Or What I So Need To Make Some Sounds Yummy! Thank You!

11. Jessica @EatSleepBe says:

Gosh I had forgotten all about that song, but that drink sure does sound good.

12. Wow that is an interesting process! I did not know you could make that from home.
    Mama to 5 BLessings recently posted…At Home Or On The Go Dixie Quicktakes Are The Perfect Food Storage SolutionMy Profile

13. I am not a drinker but I have some friends who would love this!

14. Sam says:

This is sooo cool. I love wine, I would love to be able to make my own!
    Sam recently posted…Vegan Breakfast You Don’t Want To Miss : Blueberry WafflesMy Profile

15. Christy says:

LOVE THAT SONG, and the wine looks amazing!
    Christy recently posted…Schlitterbahn Galveston…The Best Day EVER!My Profile

That’s quite an undertaking! I’m pretty impressed.
    Liz Mays recently posted…Outdoor Entertaining Favorites from Kohl’sMy Profile

17. I’m not a fan of sweet wine, but I remember that song!
    Annie {Stowed Stuff} recently posted…New Drinkware from Birch Lane {Giveaway}My Profile

18. I’ve never made any type of wine before and this sounds like it’s going to be good. Please keep us updated.
    Amanda @ Growing Up Madison recently posted…In Love with Livie & Luca – Adorable Shoes for Adorable FeetMy Profile

19. Oh how fun is this? I’ve never done anything like this but who wouldn’t love to make their own wine.
    Prototype Mama recently posted…What’s the hype about Hype 365? (Etsy Shop)My Profile

20. Debi says:

Blackberry wine sounds good. I don’t think I have ever had one like it.
    Debi recently posted…Save $1.50 on Biotrue® multi-purpose solution (10 oz. size or larger) –My Profile

21. Amanda says:

What a very interesting process! I’d love to try blackberry wine!
    Amanda recently posted…Share a Coke with Your Favorite GraduateMy Profile