So I understand I have had BLACKBERRIES on the brain… really!?!? Blackberry pie, wine, pancakes, and muffins. It is just so hard to believe how many berries there are this year. So many years they are here one day and dried up the next. We have been picking wild ones for about 10 days and there are still so many more. Add to that, the tame ones we planted year before last are now coming off big time. We have picked up 63 pounds now.
They are HUGE!
Easy Blackberry Pie
3 to 4 cups fresh blackberries
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons milk
1/4 cup white sugar
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
Combine berries with the sugar and flour. Spoon into unbaked pie shell (see easy piecrust recipe below). cover with top crust. Seal and crimp the edges, and cut vents in the top crust for steam to escape.
This is a classic Crisco crust.
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup well-chilled Crisco Shortening
- 4 to 8 tablespoons ice cold water
1. BLEND flour and salt in medium mixing bowl.
2. CUT chilled shortening into flour mixture, using a pastry blender, in an up and down chopping motion, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs with some small pea-sized pieces remaining.
3. SPRINKLE half the maximum recommended amount of ice cold water over the flour mixture. Using a fork, stir and draw flour from bottom of bowl to the top, distributing moisture evenly into flour. Press chunks down to bottom of bowl with fork. Add more water by the tablespoon, until dough is moist enough to hold together when pressed together.
Next Divide dough in two balls for double crust or double deep dish crust, one ball slightly larger than the other. Flatten ball(s) into 1/2-inch thick round disk(s).
For a DOUBLE pie crust, roll larger disk for bottom crust, trimming edges of dough even with outer edge of pie plate. Fill unbaked pie crust according to recipe directions above. Roll out smaller dough disk. Transfer dough carefully onto filled pie. Trim edges of dough leaving a 3/4-inch overhang. Fold top edge under bottom crust. Press edges together to seal and flute as desired. Cut slits in top crust or prick with fork to vent steam. Bake until golden brown.
Let cool and eat up!
You can top with your favorite icecream!