How About We Make Blackberry Syrup?!

100_3995With all the blackberries this year, we have been able to make so many of the long dreamed of goodies we have wanted (and craved) for the last few dry years. One of the things we have been wanting is Blackberry Syrup.
There are so many things you can use this sweet liquid for… Serve over pancakes, waffles, and ice cream. You can also use it for snow cones, chocolate coffee, and even add as a twist in your barbecue sauce.

I even have a few fantastic readers sending me some awesome recipes and I will share a couple of simple ones you can use Blackberry Syrup in at the end of this post. So here is  our syrup..

Blackberry Syrup

3-4 pounds blackberries
2 pounds sugar
1/2 tsp lemon zest (or juice)

100_4002Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat until sugar is dissolved and mixture begins to boil. (stirring often)
Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. The longer you simmer the thicker it will get or you can add a couple tablespoons of cornstarch. I like mine thinner most of the time.

Remove from heat and mash berries I use a potato masher.
Let mixture cool 15 to 20 minutes. Press fruit mixture through a sieve with the back of a large spoon to remove seeds and pulp.
Cool and store in bottle or canning jar in fridge. You can store for up to 6 months, but it doesn’t last that long around here.

Now here are a couple of other ways to use this awesome syrup.

Blackberry Salad Dressing

• 4 Tbsp. Blackberry Syrup
  • 4 Tbsp. Olive Oil
  • 1 Tbsp.Lemon Juice
  • 1 Tbsp. Vinegar
  • Salt and Pepper

In a bowl combine all ingredients and mix well. Season with salt and pepper as needed and toss with your favorite salad.  (Thanks Sarah H. For this recipe)

Blackberry Mojito

Blackberry Mojito – In a tall glass, muddle 10 mint leaves and four lime wedges sliced from half a lime. Fill glass with ice, 1.5 ounces of rum, 1/2 ounce simple syrup, 1/4 ounce of blackberry syrup, top with soda water and stir. (My friend Joanne sent me this but we are not sure where it originated. I would love to credit the author so let me know)

Blackberry Sparkling Water

Fill a glass with ice, pour in sparkling water, add 1 or more tablespoons of Blackberry Syrup (to taste), stir, and enjoy!

I think it is time for some Ice cream so I will talk to ya later!

45 Responses to How About We Make Blackberry Syrup?!

1. Terry says:

My Hubs would love this!! He is so blackberry everything. bet it tastes great on the ice cream.
    Terry recently posted…I Will Be Doing Dr Clarks Parasite Cleanse Plus Trying Candida Quest For Yeast Fungus Problems ~ Your Health By DesignMy Profile

2. Jaime says:

My mom has made blackberry syrup before – it’s so good! The salad dressing recipe looks really good, too!
    Jaime recently posted…Friday 5My Profile

Your syrup sounds delicious!! Pinned Over pancakes — YUM!

4. I have never had blackberry syrup, but it sounds amazing!! I want to try it.
    Robin (Masshole Mommy) recently posted…7 Tips for Beating the Summer HeatMy Profile

5. Ooooh, yum! That sounds amazing! I think we’ll have to grow some blackberries next year!
    Mel Outnumbered recently posted…ChalkTalkSPORTS Is Your Gift Source For SportsMy Profile

6. I love Blackberry anything. Straining out the seeds can prove challenging but so worth the effort. That is just a sweet taste from heaven. Thank you for sharing. Yum!
    Laura (Lauras Little House Tips) recently posted…Lacto-Fermented Vegetables – The Old Fashioned Way Of PreservationMy Profile

7. Kay Adeola says:

Yum,Thanks for this.We will have plenty of blackberries this year but they will not come out for a little while yet.I love anything I can make out of blackberries.
    Kay Adeola recently posted…Lazy Days & TV!My Profile

8. Jessica says:

Yum! That is probably so good on homemade pancakes with a little whip cream and fresh berries.

I wish I had plentiful blackberries here! All of this sounds really yummy, especially that blackberry syrup!
    Liz Mays recently posted…Big Fish Cascade – Say Goodbye to Crushing Candies!My Profile

10. I found a recipe for blackberry syrup infused into a BBQ sauce a while ago. It sounded awesome and would be a great application for this!
    Lindsey @ Redhead Baby Mama recently posted…Favorites for Baby’s First Month (Registry List)My Profile

11. That sounds good! It would be perfect on waffles!
    Melissa @ SippyCupMom recently posted…Summer Reading Under the Stars Party #SummerReadingMy Profile

12. I’ve not previously been a fan of flavored syrup, but this sounds delicious. I may have to try it!

13. MommaDJane says:

My daughter loves the darker berries. I’m a strawberry favor but she loves blueberries and blackberries. I bet she would love the syrup on ice cream too.
    MommaDJane recently posted…DIY Laurel Wreath CrownMy Profile

Sounds good to me. I love flavored syrup and blackberry is just delish!
    Rosey recently posted…Is Summer Slipping Through Your Fingers?My Profile

15. Yummy! We made something similar a few years ago and it was so wonderful. We wanted to eat pancakes every day.
    Chrystal @ YUM eating recently posted…Farmers Market Finds {3} : Cooking DemoMy Profile

16. I’ve never thought to make this! My mom has tons of blackberry bushes at her house. I will share this with her!
    Amy @ Marvelous Mommy recently posted…DIY Canvas Wall Art for KidsMy Profile

17. That is awesome, sounds nice to go on waffles and pancakes too!
    Mama to 5 BLessings recently posted…Clothespin Planes (Learn & Link With Linky)My Profile

18. Rebekah says:

Thanks for this! I’ve been wanting to make my own for awhile now.
    Rebekah recently posted…In The Kitchen With Lebanese Taverna: Innovative Summer Cocktails by The Menehune Group + From the Menu RecipesMy Profile

19. Oh this looks divine! I must try this out!

20. Tami says:

Blackberry Mojitos…I am so in!! I have been adding blackberries to my salads to amp up the taste. (I am not a big fan of salads).
    Tami recently posted…10 Reasons why Kate Middleton will make an excellent BFF!My Profile

21. Mickey says:

Ooh, that sounds awesome over ice cream. I used to have berry syrups over ice cream when I was little.
    Mickey recently posted…What Makes You Sparkle?My Profile

22. I never thought to make a salad dressing out of blackberries, but it sounds great. Would be great for summer salads.
    Janel (A Mom’s Take) recently posted…Chocolate Pudding TrifleMy Profile

23. This syrup sounds amazing! My hubs would love this in some ice cream.
    Cassie @ Southeast by Midwest recently posted…Weekly Roundup July 14th – July 19thMy Profile

24. Veronica says:

I would love to make my dressing out of blackberries. That ought to be yummy
    Veronica recently posted…There’s An App For That!My Profile

25. Jessi says:

I love blackberry syrup on my pancakes!
    Jessi recently posted…Almost Homemade: Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter MuffinMy Profile

26. Great idea! Looks yummy. I’ve never made anything like this either but want to try!

27. I’ve never had blackberry syrup before. It sounds yummy. Homemade must be even better than the processed one.
    Katherine G from La La Land Mommy recently posted…My IdealShape Review #IdealShapeMy Profile

28. Katrina says:

I never thought to make my own syrup, but its a great idea. Sounds very yummy!
    Katrina recently posted…12 Ways to Use White Vinegar for CleaningMy Profile

29. Dina says:

I did that with blueberries last year. We used it on pancakes. YUM>
    Dina recently posted…How to create a backyard wonderlandMy Profile

30. All of those recipes sound delicious. Didn’t know you could make so much with blackberries.
    Beth@FrugalFroggie recently posted…Friday Funny 7-18-14My Profile

31. Lori says:

I bet that tastes delicious on ice cream. I will have to try it sometime!
    Lori recently posted…Chat With Kristina Vanni and Pompeian Olive Oil on Twitter #AskPompeianMy Profile

32. I have never had black berry syrup but this sounds like it would be amazing on Ice cream…
    Carmen’s Coupon Blog recently posted…Cents Of Style: Fashion Friday Kids CollectionMy Profile

33. Kiwi says:

You must of picked a LOT of blackberries! I love blackberries so keep the ideas coming…I am interested in a blackberry mojito now!
    Kiwi recently posted…I’m A Google City Expert of Atlanta!My Profile

34. Mmm, this looks delicious. I’ve never tried blackberry syrup.
    Marina @ Mommy Snippets recently posted…5 Tips for Pregnant Moms {+ A free sample!}My Profile

35. Amanda H. says:

I have recently become a fan of blackberries! I’d love to add this to pancakes or ice cream!
    Amanda H. recently posted…Get Your Bounce On at Monkey Joe’s in Wheaton, ILMy Profile

36. I love fruit-flavored syrup. I’ve never tried making Blackberry Syrup. Thanks for sharing. 🙂
    Shannon Gosney recently posted…Excited to Host Our “The Other Woman” Closet Swap Party!My Profile

37. Rachael says:

I love blackberries. I’d love to make a blackberry mojito.

38. All of that sounds so good. Especially the mojitos and sparkling water.
    Cam | Bibs and Baubles recently posted…What I’m Feeling Friday…The CelfieMy Profile

39. Char W. says:

Out of all of these I would definitely love the blackberry salad dressing.

40. Pingback: Wild Hog, Potatoes, Onions, and Squash - A Frontier Meal! Espacularaiesa

41. I’ve never had a flavored syrup like this before. Thanks for the recipe!
    krystalskitsch recently posted…Favorite Florida BeachesMy Profile

42. Pingback: Homemade Coffee Creamer! Vanilla Cafe, Blackberry, and MORE! Espacularaiesa

43. Pingback: Blackberry and Honey Glaze! Espacularaiesa