Stomping Our Feet in Branson! Billy Dean! #BransonFun

billy1On our Stomping Our Feet in Branson trip, the fun continued as we attended  The Billy Dean and Steel Horses show at Starlite Theater.

Although he was actively singing and performing earlier, Billy Dean gained national attention after he appeared on the television talent competition Star Search!

What followed was a whirlwind of hits like “Only Here for a Little While”, “Somewhere in My Broken Heart”, and “If There Hadn’t Been You”.

Along with “Tryin’ to Hide a Fire in the Dark”  and guest vocals on Kenny Rogers’ 2000 Number One hit “Buy Me a Rose”.

11997243_1012627878755838_1880466239_nMy favorites are “Billy the Kid” and the song “Once in a While,” from the soundtrack to the Luke Perry’s movie ‘8 Seconds’ (the story of Lane Frost (Luke Perry) who become professional bull riding champion in the 1980s).

I can go on about how he also appeared in several soaps, sitcoms, and variety shows, but let me tell you about the show. We really enjoyed the hearing the hits plus some new ones. It was a fun and upbeat show with Billy Dean and the spectacular Steel Horses Band.

11997131_1012651145420178_1071402913_n

As an added bonus, one of our fave Branson comedians, Jarrett Dougherty, is also a part of the show. Jarrett’s wild and zany characters are sure to make you laugh til you have tears. I do believe I volunteered to be Campaign Manager for Cam Payne’s run for President while I was there!

Now back to Billy Dean… Ladies are you ready to swoon? This amazing singer, songwriter, and actor left it all to be with his family. The long hours and days away from his family was damaging his family life to a point that he felt it necessary to make the decision to devote time to family. I will have more from him on this in the interview below.

I was truly honored that this amazing man took the time to visit with me after the show. Billy is a kind person and really cares about his fans. Here is our interview…

Q – How old were you when you started singing?

Billy –  Man, that’s hard to remember. It goes so far back. My dad played in a band. I guess I remember singing and playing my guitar in my second grade class.

billyQ –  On a scale of 1 to 10, how stressful do you think the career you have chosen is?

Billy – Gosh, I don’t know. I have never really had any other career. I will tell you it is an emotional roller-coaster, because well… I really don’t remember much of the 90s. We worked so much and so little sleep (you can imagine trying to sleep on a tour bus running up and down the road). We did that for a lot of years. I wouldn’t say it was stressful, because it was rewarding. It was just tiring with all the hours. We were working when everyone else is playing and when everyone else is working, we are playing.

Q – What do you do when something on stage doesn’t quite go right?

Billy – It’s live. I learned that from Kenny Rogers. He rarely used any kind of prompters, because it is just the way the show happens that day, that moment in time. That’s the beauty of live music. You know I forgot the words to his song tonight. I was all into the song and the story and I messed up. I just got caught-up and forgot where I was. I don’t get rattled or upset. It is what it is.

billy deanQ – Now you left the career for your kids and family, can you tell me about that?

Billy – Yeah, I did. After about 8 or 9 years touring and a couple of awards. Plus possible future awards like entertainer of the year and others, but it was ripping my family apart. It was ripping me apart. You know, I was gone all the time and I was having a little family. I was on Capital label with Garth Brooks at the time. The record label was in turmoil and I just saw the writing on the wall.Man, I am never going to get to that Entertainer of the Year as long as the machine is broken. My family needs me and I want to be a Dad. I had a taste of the good life and the next challenge is to see if I can be a good dad and be a good husband. It was the best thing I ever did. Better than any music career. It was very rewarding.

Q – My readers like finding out who you are as a person. Like do you have hobbies, and what are some things or causes you are passionate about?

Billy – Well, anything to do with kids. I love charities the do anything with kids. My wife and I are farmers. We have a little farm called Dean Acres. When we have time, we like digging in the dirt and being outside. We both are adrenalin junkies, so we love… our goal is to hit every roller coaster in the United States. Never wore a cowboy hat, did not think of myself as a cowboy. Just a farmer.

Q – Is there anything about your music that you get like when you write a song… that you want your fans to know.

Billy – I try to pierce through people’s walls they may have with music. I try to make something they can really get, that they may not get otherwise. I look at music as medicine, so that’s why I do it now. I used to chase the money and fame and the power. I think my time with my kids changed my course to be able to share some of that experience through music and my dreams with my kids. I wanted to raise a couple of good human beings and that they have good memories of me. They are both in college now and both are really great people. I am most proud of that!

See!! I knew you would swoon!

billydean

You can see Billy Dean, Steel Horses, and Jarrett Dougherty at  Starlite Theater in Branson

Find out more about Billy Dean

And Follow Billy on Facebook

Also check out the crazy antics of Jarrett Dougherty on Facebook!

We have had so much fun on Stomping our Feet in Branson trip. I have one more show to share with you and it will explain WHY sis and I will be returning to Branson one more time this year!

29 Responses to Stomping Our Feet in Branson! Billy Dean! #BransonFun

That sounds like such a fun show. I have wanted to go to Branson for ages now 🙂

2. I think it is wonderful that he likes to participate in charities that help kids. It shows his generous nature.
    Toughcookiemommy recently posted…Deliver A Better Clean For The Whole Family! #TweetFromTheSeat @Charmin #AdMy Profile

3. Elizabeth O. says:

It’s always nice to get to meet performers. Especially if it’s someone you’ve admired for a long time. Looks like you had so much fun!

4. Lesley says:

That looks like a lot of fun. It’s cool you got to meet the performer you really admire for so long.

It’s so nice to hear about his charitable endeavors. What a great guy he seems to be!
    Liz Mays recently posted…Apple Pie CiderMy Profile

6. Cinny says:

Sounds like you had a really good time. I love how you’re getting to meet people you admire.
    Cinny recently posted…5 #Dog Grooming #Tips Saving you Time & Money #CHIforDogs #ad #petsMy Profile

This looks like a great show. I have always liked Billy Dean I saw him in concert years ago when he first started out.

Looks like a fun show! There are so many cool shows in Branson.

9. Amber C. says:

I have heard so much about Branson and all their awesome shows! Looks like a really great time! I would love to go!

10. Crystal says:

How fun! I need to see more live concerts. I always have such a great time!
    Crystal recently posted…15 Halloween Party FavorsMy Profile

11. Penelope says:

This is a new artist for me, but it sounds like I’ve been missing out. I need to head over to itunes and buy one of his albums.
    Penelope recently posted…A Deliciously Spooky HalloweenMy Profile

12. Catherine Curti says:

I’ve never heard him, but he looks fun and cool guy.

13. Marcie W. says:

I like the idea of seeing a show that makes me want to dance and sing along. Sounds like this one really is a lot of fun and that meeting Billy made it that much more special for you.
    Marcie W. recently posted…Fairy Sisters Magical Forest Adventures – App ReviewMy Profile

14. Happy that you had fun in Branson. It is rare to have shows like that where you have all around entertainment. And you were so lucky to interview Billy Dean.
    Annemarie LeBlanc recently posted…5 Vital Travel Tips for Parents – Family Trips Made EasyMy Profile

15. Caroline says:

I have to be honest, I have no idea who that guy his, but he looks like lots of fun. I’m sure I would enjoy one of his show.
    Caroline recently posted…What I’ve learned about RBC RESPMy Profile

16. Ora Lee Gurr says:

What a fantastic interview with Billy Dean in Branson. You presented some fine questions and received meaningful answers. All that and you had fun, too! Good job and thanks for sharing it all with us.
    Ora Lee Gurr recently posted…Thankful Thursdays: Surviving with SunshineMy Profile

17. Kiwi says:

You have a lot of Branson coverage! Looks like a great time overall!
    Kiwi recently posted…MACY’S PRESENTS FALL FASHION’S FRONT ROW | Nationwide EventMy Profile

18. I would love to go to a Billy Dean and Steel Horses show. This is a great interview. I bet you had an amazing time.

19. Candy O says:

What a fabulous visit to Branson you had! I didn’t know who Billy Dean was but he sounds like a great entertainer. I need to get to Branson!

20. Kristi says:

Thanks for sharing your interview… he really sounds like a great guy. Love his comment of farming and that he doesn’t wear a cowboy hat because he thinks of himself of a farmer and not a cowboy.

21. Looks like a great show! And it’s great that you had the chance to interview him, too. 🙂
    Rebel Sweetheart recently posted…Hair Story | Innisfree Camellia Bubble Hair Color.My Profile

I love to see live shows. I’m glad you enjoyed this one and you got some cool pics too!

23. jeanine says:

Wow sounds like an awesome time. I’ve never been to Branson! Your photos like great!

24. Tracey says:

This looks like an awesome time. I love your candid interview as well.

25. I used to listen to Billy Dean all the time when I was younger. What a great event.

26. Sacha says:

I had never heard of billy dean before, but it seems like he has some good songs worth listening to, I will be checking out the link above, to know more about billy. Thanks for sharing.
    Sacha recently posted…8 Quotes on why we need to connect with our inner childMy Profile

Your posts always make me want to check out Branson! Looks like so much fun!
    Shell recently posted…Simple Kindness Challenge: Things They Can’t SayMy Profile

28. Haha I can see why ladies would swoon – he definitely looks charasmatic.

29. Amber NElson says:

I have never heard of this, but congrats on the interview!
    Amber NElson recently posted…5 Healthy Halloween Tips for KidsMy Profile